Monday, January 31, 2011


Here are edited photos from the first four photo shoots. I am posting as many versions as I am having trouble deciding on.

My first shoot was a good attempt at a first shoot. I learned many things. First off, the location I chose probably wasn't the best but it was the best I could find at the moment. I spent a lot of money on props but didn't pay attention to how some of them call attention to the present time. Overall the shoot was a little too modern looking for what I was really looking for. As for lighting, I used fill lighting and the kitchen light to get a more dramatic light. It was okay but I think not dramatic enough and so a lot of processing was needed to get a painterly effect.

Two characters, a baker & his assistant, are baking a cake for their cat Tommy. Unfortunately the assistant's cake is less than satisfactory.



My second shoot was an outside shoot which posed new problems. But the first problem really was how it came to be an outside shoot, it was because I couldn't find a tub! However I think it lead to a more interesting photo. The problem with this shoot was that I did it in the afternoon without a good amount of shade so bits and pieces of the sun leaked through and overexposed the photo sometimes. Another was that because it was light out, the fill light I used pretty much did nothing! And then the third is that I don't know whether the location was the best one. I loved that it was by a stream but the amount of leaves gives the whole photo a very busy texture.

Three characters, a butcher, a baker, and a candlestick maker, have crash landed their tub and don't know where they are.



This shoot I think was my most successful one so far. The location had perfect lighting and the timing (around 4:30-5:30PM) was perfect. I rented strobes that I wanted to try out for more dramatic lighting but they unfortunately did not work! Thankfully we brought backup fill light to use and because it was so much darker than my previous photoshoot, the light did a lot for the photo. There was less post work because the photo itself already looked like a painting. The one thing I was experimenting with these photos is the holes in the trees where the sky is exposed. Sometimes this bright spot can be distracting so I chose to take advantage of it and make it more a part of the photo. This was after looking back on Annie Liebovitz's photos where she did the same thing in the Snow White photo. 

Instead of concentrating on the part that most people know about, the scene I planned to shoot was the part in which Bo Peep comes upon her sheep's tails hanging from a tree.

Version 1: Saturated - Big ray

Version 1: Desaturated - Big Ray

Version 1: Desaturated - small rays

Version 1: Desaturated - no rays

Version 1: Saturated - small rays

Version 1: saturated - no rays

Version 2: saturated - combo rays

Version 2: Deaturated - big ray

Version 2: desaturated - combo rays

Version 2: desaturated - no rays

Version 2: saturated - no rays

My fourth shoot dealt with the golden hour in which the sun is setting. With no shade, this is supposedly the best time to shoot but I had a hard time with exposure. Everyone once in a while the overcast weather would come about (it rained earlier) and the lighting would be perfect. Unfortunately it never got dark enough for the fill lights to work (the strobes still refused to work). Another element of this photo that was a learning process was dealing with a young 5 year old girl who wasn't too keen on taking direction. 

This rhyme was originally based on the Bubonic Plague. Mixing this with a child's interpretion of the rhyme as a game, I imagined a scene where 3 young girls are looking at two sets of clothes representing children who have disappeared for no reason.

Version 1: desaturated

Version 1: saturated

Version 2: desaturated

Version 2: saturated

No comments:

Post a Comment